A tribute to the stuff that makes life less boring.

20/01/2011

Tea

Mmmm, tea. Is it the flavour? Is it the colour? Is it the temperature? getting warmer...


Getting someone a cup of tea is the ultimate, everyday nice thing you can do for someone.  It shows you care, and that you want to make the person in question a little bit happier.


Tea is comforting, like a liquid hug.  In fact, ideally you should present someone with tea and then give them a hug as well.  This is ultimate love.


It's also an exciting drink, fraught with danger.  Spill it on your crotch, you're a goner.  Sip too soon, burnt lips/tongue/throat.  These are very real risks.  But then if you're over cautious, you miss the two minute window when the tea is at its optimum drinking temperature.  Then you've ruined it.  You can always use the microwave to reheat the mug, but it's never quite the same.  Also, dunking: now there's a double edged sword.  It's great at the time, but then when you get the horrid biscuit detritus in the last mouthful, the feeling of regret is intense, palpable even.  


Making each individual's cup of tea is an art.  If I ever make you a cup of tea, I need information first.  I like mine strong, no sugar.  The amount of milk is dependent on mood.  My friend Ben likes his weak, one sugar, followed with a cruel remark about how he doesn't actually like the taste of tea.  


I'm no expert on the stuff.  I don't drink anything other than regular brown tea bags (this isn't to say I'm not open to other kinds).  I've been known to drink Earl Grey when offered, and loose leaf when visiting my uncle.  It's the social effects of tea I'm interested in.


Show your love with tea.  It's cheaper than a real present.

No comments:

Post a Comment